Happy new year everyone! With the year comes new goals. Most people have some tip of fitness goal they like to start the year off with. I love this time of year! Everyone is excited and ready to attack their (inserted goal). A couple of tips:
1. Be S.M.A.R.T – by this I mean your goals should be smart…
Specific– What do you want to achieve?
Measurement– Your goal doesn’t have to be weight lose, but can you measure the progress you are making towards your goal? (daily, weekly, monthly, year)
Attractive– Some people change the “A” to mean something different, but I like attractive because the goal should be something you really want… Even on snowy days, bad days, hard times, and when the cookies are in front of you.
Realistic– I know I will never be 5’6… But I can work on my posture to stand taller. When you set your goal set it high but make it something that (right now) you are able to be achieved.
Timely– When do you want to achieve this goal? (day, week, month, year)
The other thing to think of when it comes to your new goals is to pace yourself. It is important to start where you are, not where your ego thinks you are. Also, stop looking at everyone else’s paper… Your buddies is not you and you are not them so stop comparing your journey to theirs.
Now that I’ve giving you “the talk” here’s some fun things you can do in the gym or at home:
- Always keep your stomach tight.
- Focus on pulling with the hamstrings (back of your legs) by pushing your heels into the ground.
- Keep your back straight (no arching or sagging)
- Your knee should stay over your ankle.
- Push back at the hips, BUT keep your chest up so you don’t fold forward
- Only go as far as you can and come back in 1 motion.
- Again, keep your core tight. Think pulling your belly button to your spine.
- Knees to chest is a modification, if that is to easy try the pike ones.
Be safe! Listen to your body! Have fun and wear a cape… Everything is much more fun in a cape!
Best wishes in 2015! Make it the Best Year Yet!